I am excited to introduce my latest project – a mini ear seed kit for natural stress relief. I made the first batch to give away as gifts at my upcoming clinic Open Day, so if you came along and received a kit, it is hot off the press! (And hilariously, back to front, but that is another story!) I have started using ear seeds in the clinic quite a bit lately as I find them such an effective way to enhance and continue the therapeutic effects of acupuncture for days after the actual treatment.
Here is some more information about ear seeds and auriculotherapy, and detailed instructions for how to make the most of your Ear Seed Kit.
Auriculotherapy is the stimulation of specific points on the ear for a therapeutic effect. It is based on the premise that the ear is a microsystem of the body – that is, every part of our body has a corresponding point on the ear. The traditional belief is that by stimulating the ear points, we are sending a therapeutic message to the corresponding body part.
Ear seeds work by exerting a mild continuous stimulation at the points where they are placed, while you go about your day. You can enhance the action of the seeds by giving them a gentle squeeze at intervals throughout the day. If you take a few moments to practice some deep breathing whilst you squeeze or press the points, you will deepen the therapeutic effect.
Ear seeds can be made of different materials. Traditionally, actual seeds - vaccaria seeds - are used, attached to a small adhesive plaster. The ear 'seeds' I have chosen for this ear seed kit are little metal balls, coated in silver (for its calming action), and attached to a small transparent plaster. They are non-allergenic, inconspicuous, and non-invasive, as they are simply taped onto the surface of the skin. You can also get gold plated ear seeds, but they are quite stimulating so not appropriate to this particular kit.
The points I have chosen are thought to relieve the symptoms of stress and anxiety, and to promote calm and relaxation. They can induce the body's relaxation response by quieting down the sympathetic nervous system.
To ensure you get the best results from this ear seed kit, please follow these instructions carefully and always feel free to contact me if you have any questions.
You will need:
A mirror or a helpful friend :-)
* Ensure that your ear is clean before you start. Many people have a thin layer of wax on the ear's surface that isn't visible, but it will prevent the plaster from adhering properly. You can use an alcohol swab, a baby wipe, or even just a wet wash cloth. Make sure your ear is thoroughly dry after cleaning.
* Using scissors, carefully snip the top off the packet, and slide just enough ear seeds out for your first treatment. It can be a bit fiddly pushing the strip back into the packet if you pull the whole thing out at once.
* Using tweezers, bend the black paper strip and grab hold of the edge of one of the plasters. Then, use the tweezers to press and apply the ear seed to each location indicated on the diagram. This is where having a nice big mirror, or a helpful friend come in handy! It can be a bit fiddly, but with some practice you'll soon get the hang of it. I find it helpful to place the plaster in the right position with the tweezers, then use a finger from the other hand to press down on the ear seed while I take tweezers away.
* Repeat on both sides
* You can leave the ear seeds in place for a maximum of 5 days. They are fine to leave in while showering, exercising or swimming. They might fall out by themselves, or you can remove them. Give your ears a day to rest and regenerate before reapplying the seeds for another treatment.
Voila! That's it. I hope that you enjoy your kit, and it brings some lovely calm into your life. If you feel you need a bit more help, acupuncture is amazing for stress and all stress-related conditions, and Chinese herbal medicine can be helpful as well, so don't hesitate to contact me for more information.
P.S. If you really enjoy these and would like a top up of more actual ear seeds, I can easily supply these to you for a minimal cost. I am also looking into designing a kit that can be customised, so that you can have an ear seed protocol that is specific to your individual needs. Let me know if this is something you would be interested in!
* Please consult with your doctor before using these seeds if you are pregnant.
* If you are prone to rashes/allergies/skin reactions, do a patch test with just one plaster first
* If you are allergic to any of the materials contained in the ear seeds, you should refrain from using this kit – see below.
Ear seed/pellet: argentums (silver), iron, manganese, sulphur, phosphorus, silicon and carbon. Adhesive plaster contains latex/acrylic substance. Materials of less than 0.5% in weight are not included in the list.
Leave a Reply.
Acupuncture and Fertility
Acupuncture and Anxiety
Acupuncture and Stress
Acupuncture and Depression
Acupuncture and Immunity
Serving the Blue Mountains - Lapstone, Glenbrook, Blaxland, Blaxland East, Warimoo, Winmalee, Yellow Rock, Hawkesberry Heights, Valley Heights, Springwood, Faulconbridge, Mount Riverview, Linden, Woodford, Hazelbrook, Lawson, Bullaburra, Wentworth Falls, Leura, Katoomba